At our recent Harvest Fast Day Mass, held at St Joseph’s Parish in Wolverhampton, we took the opportunity to thank and recognise the contribution of one of our longest serving volunteers, Trevor Stockton.
Trevor has been a CAFOD volunteer for very many years – according to our records since 1992 but Trevor will tell you that he was involved for many years before that, even before we had a CAFOD office in the Birmingham Archdiocese.
He’s had and still does a variety of roles, including:
- Parish volunteer, in his parish of St Anthony of Padua.
- School volunteer, visiting local schools to talk to young people about our work.
- Deanery Coordinator, supporting other CAFOD volunteers locally.
- He’s a passionate Campaign volunteer and has been involved in many lobbies and marches over the years, including Make Poverty History and the Jubilee Debt campaign, amongst many others.
- Trevor also writes prayers, reflections, liturgy and songs for us, which I know he really enjoys and he has a great gift for. Until recently he organised our annual Fast Day Masses and he is currently busy organising our Mass of Remembrance being held on November 24th at St Anthony’s Parish in Wolverhampton.
There are so many ways in which Trevor has and still does support us that are too many to list. To mark the amazing and considerable contribution he has made to our work for more than 25 years Bishop David McGough presented Trevor with a special Papal blessing.
Thank you to Trevor and all our wonderful volunteers for the wonderful contribution they make and for standing in solidarity alongside our sisters and brothers in need around the world.
This year’s Harvest Fast Day is quickly approaching,! CAFOD Birmingham will be holding two sessions on Saturday 23 September in High Wycombe or Saturday 30 September in Oxford, so you can find out more about how CAFOD is making a difference in El Salvador.
Tania Dalton – CAFOD’s Latin American team (High Wycombe event) will be sharing stories of those we support in El Salvador and Bishop William Kenney (Oxford event) will be sharing his experience of Sudan and South Sudan. Both have worked alongside our partners there and have wonderful and inspirational stories to share!
The sessions are as follows:
Sat 23 Sept : Our Lady of Grace, Squirrel Lane, High Wycombe, HP12 4RY
Sat 30 Sept: Our Lady Help of Christians, 59 Hollow Way, Cowley, Oxford OX4 2ND
Time for both sessions : 10:15am – 2:30pm (shared lunch from 1:30pm.)
Please let us know if you’re planning to attend or would like more information by emailing email@example.com or calling our CAFOD Volunteer Centre on 01844 274 723. If you can’t make it to any of these sessions, you can still join an online briefing on 20 September , 07:00pm ‐ 08:00pm or watch the recording afterwards. You simply need to register here in advance and follow the instructions in your confirmation email.
This year’s Harvest Fast day will be also marking 100 years since the Blessed Oscar Romero’s birth and by getting involved, you can help us to make a difference to, in the words of Romero, “Plant the seeds that one day will grow.”
Whether you’d like to speak at Mass, hold a Fast Day event or hold a simple soup lunch for CAFOD, we are happy to support you.
There are many online resources available to you too, including briefing notes, which you can find here.
We look forward to hearing from you and hopefully seeing you at one of our events!